Monday, April 2, 2012

COMPOSING IN A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE

Over the past five years I was fortunate to learn a bit of French and Motu, one of our 850 or so languages.
I realised that for those who love music, it would be nice and uplifting to learn songs that are sung in the language that you are studying.
For those who sing hymns, I am sure that hymns have been translated to almost all the common languages ... you only need to find the right hymn book ... knowing the tunes it would not be hard to learn to sing those songs.
Another thing one can do is to compose poetry or songs in the language that you are studying.
About three years ago I penned these words in Motu:

Sinagu Tamagu e
Lalogu ai
Sibogu asina kamonai
Hari lauegu mauri na heto

My mother my father
Think of me
I myself did not hear
Now my life is like this

No comments:

Post a Comment